Sunday, February 19, 2023

Entry #1: ASL is not a Disability

 

   

 I must admit, this entry might be a bit personal and opinionated but as an aunt of a hard at hearing and non-verbal niece, she is your typical 2-year-old. Her family we're very fast on catching her diagnosis and immediately started with a mentor to teach her what might just be her first language. 
    After letting the family know of her diagnosis, it was a hard moment, but my sister-in-law found out so much information and what the state of Arizona offered for her. I was so determined to learn right with them. I was surprised that GCC offered an ASL class, and it could be added as a Language Course. It was starting to be a learning environment for family and me. I was in happy tears when my children and husband were catching up on the language as well. All because we decided to not give up and instead practice it right with her. Google as always, a search engine, gave us a few websites that I really enjoyed like ''Signing Savvy'' and Gallaudet University ASL course. 
    I am very much excited spending my time in learning the new language. Definitely have a very big motive in doing so and it's making it much easier. In my opinion ASL should be taught more. Deaf or hard at hearing persons should not be discriminated against and we should instead be willing to learn something new.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog about ASL. My cousin is deaf. My daughter and I learned ASL to communicate with him. We still use it even if he is not around us. People always stare when we are signing.

    ReplyDelete